INSideOUT of Gifted Students
Pixar’s INsideOUT is an exciting and compelling tour of inner life that’s grounded in science plus an authentic understanding of how kids feel.
What does the movie teach us??
Lesson 1: We all have emotions.
Lesson 2: Emotions—even unpleasant ones—are useful
Lesson 3: We can grow in our ability to experience and understand emotions
Plus one: We can make choices in how we think and act that affect how we feel.
How to use the Movie to discuss emotions ~ feelings with your child.
1) Can you picture the emotions in your mind?
2) Which one seems to be running the show most of the time?
3) Which one is in command right now? (ask this question ANYTIME to bring awareness to “who” is speaking.)
4) Which one is in command when you are (fill in the blank) gaming, sporting, hanging out with friends, going to school, doing the dishes!…
5) How would it change your experience of (fill in the blank) if you gave voice to a different emotion?
6) Draw the characters of your emotions. What personal attribute does each one resemble from your personality? Are they holding an item or wearing some costume? What colors are they?
7) Can you think of the “Core Memories” which stand out the most in your life?
8) Can you name a “Core Memory” that you would like to put in the “Dump”?
9) Can you imagine a “Core Memory” that you would like to create anew? Re-write the script for it and name the emotion which has voice in your new memory.
10) Can you imagine the voices that your mom, dad, teacher, friend,….have in command?
11) Share YOUR voices with someone you trust and invite them to SHARE THEIRS with you. What do you have in common? What are the differences? How could you CHOOSE to change your voices in command in order to come to agreement about something you have disagreed on in the past?
12) Which voice FEELS the best to have in command?
13) Which voices would benefit by becoming more cooperative?
14) Which voice/voices will help move you in the direction of your dreams and goals?
15) Can you create a fun activity that helps you remember to be aware of your emotions?
20 MOVIE Clips to Help teach feelings: http://www.thehelpfulcounselor.com/20-inside-out-clips-to-help-teach-children-about-feelings/