November 26

Hello Families!

I hope you all had a restful Thanksgiving. It was a nice time to enjoy family and friends and to reflect on what is meaningful. Know that I count your children among the people I hold dear to my heart. I love spending my days in the company of children, and I can think of no other job that would be as rewarding as this one. Thank you for sharing them with me! It’s hard to believe that the Christmas holidays are just around the corner. There is always so much to do this time of year. I hope you find time to enjoy the little moments here and there. Here’s what we’re doing in class this week:

Reading: Students are learning to summarize literary texts this week. We are also wrapping up our read aloud of Maniac Magee. It has been a great story that has encouraged some great conversations. Students are diligently working on meeting their AR goals. Over the past month, I’ve been meeting with kids individually to share their progress towards their goals. I have seen improvement in their progress as the accountability increased. Thank you for supporting them and making sure that they are reading daily and on the weekends.

Writing: Students have been learning about Ideas in their writing. It sounds like a simple thing, but focusing on and describing a main idea in a writing piece can be challenging for beginning writers. So far we’ve learned to describe sensory words around a moment, how to write a thesis or main idea for a writing piece, and how to ask questions to determine what a reader needs to know about a topic.

Math: Fractions are the focus now through the end of the quarter. Students have learned how to compare fractions using a benchmark fraction (0, 1/2, or 1 whole) and today we learned how to create common denominators and numerators to help compare fractions. Our next lessons will focus on adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers.

Science: We are going to be wrapping up force and motion in the coming days.

Take care,

Mrs. M

This entry was posted in Weekly Updates. Bookmark the permalink.