Introduction to Decimals –
Learning Goal: MAFS.5.NBT.1.3a – Read and write decimals to thousandths using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form, e.g., 347.392 = 3 × 100 + 4 × 10 + 7 × 1 + 3 × (1/10) + 9 × (1/100) + 2 × (1/1000).
- Decimal Place Value – Go Math Animated Lesson
- Place Value Practice
- Illustrating Decimal Numbers
- Understanding Decimals in Words
- Standard and Expanded Form
Learning Goal MAFS.5.NBT.1.3b – Compare two decimals to thousandths based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons.
- Compare and Order Simple Decimals – LearnZillion video
- Compare and Order Decimals to the Thousandths Place – LearnZillion Video
- Comparing Decimals – Online practice
- Ordering Decimals – Online practice
- Fruit Splat – Comparing Decimals Game
- Diffy Virtual Manipulative – Virtual manipulative that allows students to practice their subtraction facts with whole numbers, integers, fractions, decimals, or money.
- Base Blocks Decimals – Virtual manipulative where students can explore the meaning of place value and grouping as they add and subtract decimals.
Learning Goal: MAFS.5.NBT.1.4 – Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.