PATRIOT OAKS ACADEMY BAND – Mr. Rauh
Beginning Band is designed for students with little to no instrumental music experience. Students will learn how to play a band instrument and read music. They will learn the fundamentals of playing in an ensemble and will perform at least two concerts throughout the year. Music theory and history is woven into the curriculum through the study of quality literature and the elements of music.
- Develop a love of musical performance and the appreciation of music
- Master technical aspects of music performance and the rudiments of music theory
- Attain the ability to profoundly communicate through instrumental performance
- Learn steadfast self-discipline and commit to musical excellence
- Participate in a musical community and connect with the dynamics that exist
- Active participation
- Regular practice
- Acceptance of instruction
- Progression of skill level and musicianship
- Mastery of assigned music
- Helpful support of others
- Positive attitude and rehearsal etiquette
- Respect for fellow colleagues and their equipment
All Band classes will have several required performances – ALL SPECIFIED WELL IN ADVANCE. These are graded.
80% for assessments; this includes performances and state/district testing. 20% for assignments and projects done in class; weekly rehearsal grade
Beginning Band, Concert Band and Jazz Band – The school will provide the Band Performance Polo Shirt. Parents must provide khaki pants, solid color dress shoes and black socks. Polos will be passed out prior to a performance and returned afterward.
The Band T-shirt and blue jeans will act as our uniform for Pep Band and other more informal performances.
Beginning Band Essentials Elements – Book 1
Additional books may be required on an individual basis during the progression of the year.
Most music will be on loan from Patriot Oaks Music Library at no charge. A replacement fee will be charged for music that is lost. PLEASE KEEP UP WITH YOUR FOLDER!
Private lessons are not required but highly recommended. Qualified instructors may be found at our local music stores and universities. Please inquire with Mr. Rauh for specific names.