PATRIOT OAKS ACADEMY BAND – Mr. Rauh
Jazz Band is a performance ensemble with multiple performances throughout the year. Students must pass an audition to participle in this ensemble and is limited to the standard jazz band instrumentation. Students will learn to play in the four major stylistic genres of Swing, Rock, Ballads, and Latin/Afro Cuban. Members will also begin introductory instruction in jazz improvisation.
- Develop a love of musical performance and the appreciation of music
- Master technical aspects of music performance and the rudiments of music theory
- Attain the ability to profoundly communicate through instrumental performance
- Learn steadfast self-discipline and commit to musical excellence
- Participate in a musical community and connect with the dynamics that exist
- Active participation
- Regular practice
- Acceptance of instruction
- Progression of skill level and musicianship
- Mastery of assigned music
- Helpful support of others
- Positive attitude and rehearsal etiquette
- Respect for fellow colleagues and their equipment
All Band classes will have several required performances – ALL SPECIFIED WELL IN ADVANCE. These are graded.
80% for assessments; this includes performances and state/district testing
20% for assignments and projects done in class; weekly rehearsal grade
Beginning Band, Concert Band and Jazz Band – The school will provide the Band Performance Polo Shirt. Parents must provide khaki pants, solid color dress shoes and black socks. Polos will be passed out prior to a performance and returned afterward.
The Band T-shirt and blue jeans will act as our uniform for informal performances.
Jazz Band – Standards of Excellence – Jazz Ensemble Method (school provides)
Additional books may be required on an individual basis during the progression of the year.
Most music will be on loan from Patriot Oaks Music Library at no charge. A replacement fee will be charged for music that is lost. PLEASE KEEP UP WITH YOUR FOLDER!
Private lessons are not required but highly recommended. A list of qualified instructors may be found at our local music stores and universities. Please inquire with Mr. Rauh for specific names.