PATRIOT OAKS ACADEMY BAND – Mr. Rauh
Jazz Band is a performance ensemble with multiple performances throughout the year. Students must pass an audition to participle in this ensemble and is limited to the standard jazz band instrumentation. Students will learn to play in the four major stylistic genres of Swing, Rock, Ballads, and Latin/Afro Cuban. Members will also begin introductory instruction in jazz improvisation.
- Develop a love of musical performance and the appreciation of music
- Master technical aspects of music performance and the rudiments of music theory
- Attain the ability to profoundly communicate through instrumental performance
- Learn steadfast self-discipline and commit to musical excellence
- Participate in a musical community and connect with the dynamics that exist
- Active participation
- Regular practice
- Acceptance of instruction
- Progression of skill level and musicianship
- Mastery of assigned music
- Helpful support of others
- Positive attitude and rehearsal etiquette
- Respect for fellow colleagues and their equipment
All Band classes will have several required performances – ALL SPECIFIED WELL IN ADVANCE. These are graded.
Band grades will follow the district approved formula for summative and formative assessments. All students are expected to complete a practice journal to monitor their individual progress. The journal will be checked and be submitted as a formative assessment. Journal checks will occur in conjunction with weekly or bi-weekly playing tests on an assigned etude out of the method book.
In addition to the playing tests and journal checks, students will be evaluated on a daily rehearsal etiquette grade. (See state standard MU.68.S.3.6) Students will be evaluated on a scale of 1 to 5 will be submitted on bi weekly basis. Daily expectations are posted in the band room.
Concerts, Listening tests and other class projects will be submitted as summative assessments.
While there is little graded homework, students are expected to practice at home on a regular basis in order to maintain proficient progress through the year.
For formal performances such as concerts or graduation, students will be asked to dress in white and black. The uniform should consist of a white dress shirt, dress pants and black dress shoes.
The Band T-shirt and blue jeans will act as our uniform more informal performances.
Jazz Band – Standards of Excellence – Jazz Ensemble Method (school provides)
Additional books may be required on an individual basis during the progression of the year.
Most music will be on loan from Patriot Oaks Music Library at no charge. A replacement fee will be charged for music that is lost. PLEASE KEEP UP WITH YOUR FOLDER!
Private lessons are not required but highly recommended. A list of qualified instructors may be found at our local music stores and universities. Please inquire with Mr. Rauh for specific names.