WELCOME TO MRS. O’STEEN ‘s CLASS...
Were LEARNING is STIMULATING and all students are so STELLAR! I am looking forward to discussing the books you have read from SAHS Summer Reading List… and the NOVELS you will be READING throughout the 2012-13, school year. The 2012-13, schoolyear is going to be your year to BELIEVE and ACHIEVE your GOAL!!!
DATES TO KNOW:
October 7th-9th FCAT RETAKES READING
ACT TEST DATES Deadline TO SIGN_UP
2-8-14 1-1 -14
TEST TAKING STRATEGIES:
- Rest the night before the test
- Eat a good breakfast
- Have a positive ATTITUDE (Remember ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING:)
- Write down your thoughts and feelings on a clean sheet of paper before and during the test (Let Out Your Frustrations:)
- Read and highlight title of passage AND FIRST WORD OF EACH PARAGRAGH
- Read Questions First and highlight KEY WORDS
- Chunk (highlight as you read)
- Scan and Run passage
- HIGH LIGHT ITALIZED AND BOLD WORDS IN PASSAGE
- READ Captions under pictures, charts, graphs, etc…
- REREAD PASSAGE
- ELIMINATE ANSWER CHOICES
- TAKE YOUR TIME
- TAKE A BREAK BETWEEN EACH PASSAGE: Take 3 deep breathes, get water, stretch…
- DO NOT SECOND GUESS YOURSELF!!!
- APPLY YOURSELF AND STRATEGIES LEARNED IN CLASS-BELIEVE AND ACHIEVE!!!
CLASS SYLLABUS: INTENSIVE READING 11TH /12TH
WEBSITES TO ENHANCE READING AND VOCABULARY SKILLS: CLASSZONE.com, My Vocabulary.com, mindfun.com, groenbrotthers.com, gamequarium.com, Vocabulary.Co.IL, wordcentral.com, Google Docs: A love letter (peer review of peer work), myvocabualary.com,FreeRice.com (SAT PREP)
“The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.“