August 20 – 24, 2018

Hello second week of 3rd grade! Thank you parents for your support with reading at home and checking over the math homework. I was so happy with how my students showed responsibility with this!

We will begin our iReady diagnostic testing this week. On Monday and Tuesday, students will  complete the reading diagnostic. This will give me information about where they are and where we need to focus. Math iReady testing will not be until August 30 and 31.

Fall individual picture day will be Monday, August 27.

Our Open House will be Thursday, August 30 beginning at 6:00 pm. I hope to see you there!

• Session 1: 6:00 – 6:40 p.m.
  • Session 2: 6:45 – 7:25 p.m.

Resources this week: M – Media   T – PE   W – Art   TH – Music   F – none

Curriculum Update:

ELA: This week, we will read the story, Two Bobbies. This is an informational narrative about a dog and cat that were left behind during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Our vocabulary words for the week are:

bustle   volunteer   debris   devastate   ruckus   lounge

I do not require students to memorize the definitions of these words, but I do want them to understand the meanings and be able to use them in speaking and writing. Using them in conversation at home will really help them to learn these new words.

: )

MATH: This week, we will continue working on understanding what multiplication and division are. The strategies we have used in class are below:

We will understand that division is closely related to what we have learned about multiplication, focusing on the total, the number of groups, and the size of each group.

Total = # of groups ÷ size of each group   AND   Total = size of each group ÷ # of groups

SCIENCE: We will continue learning about The Scientific Method.

We will also discuss and use various tools scientists use to measure and collect data.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.