Full S.T.E.A.M ahead- Textured Fireworks!

Today we did a collaborative S.T.E.A.M (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) activity with our gifted/blended 1st-5th grade classes.  Each multi-age group worked together to gather supplies, mix two concentrated solutions with table salt and Epsom salt, and then create their own artistic “fireworks” using paint brushes and straws while listening to the Royal Fireworks by Handel.

Mrs. Cook, Mrs. Schunk, & Mrs. Galbraith explained the challenge ahead and the students were excited to get started with gathering their supplies.

Getting into groups took awhile!

Getting supplies was easy thanks to all the moms helping today!

Once each group had their supplies they were ready to get started following the step by step directions to create their paint!

Next, it was time for the music and painting to begin! 

Beautiful artwork!

It was wrap up time!  We talked about what we learned as a group.  

Back in our classrooms each age group was able to talk more specifically about what they learned and experienced today!

Here is what 1st graders shared:

I learned how to make my own paint with salt. 

I had to persevere to learn to paint with salt and work with a team of bigger kids.

I learned that art is not always going to be the way I want it to be, but it still looks good.

I learned how to mix colors.

I learned that if I made a mistake on the painting, I couldn’t fix it, but I could still make it better.

I learned that nothing will be the way you want it unless you at least try.

I practiced working with a teammate who was difficult.

I practiced making a good choice even if others around me didn’t.

Amazing learning today!  Thank you for organizing today’s activity Mrs. Cook!  LOTS of FUN!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.