11/2/18

Hello families,

I hope this finds you all doing well. The year is flying by – I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is NEXT week! I really enjoy working with your children. They are creative thinkers and usually LOVE to problem solve difficult tasks and real world questions. They are clever and funny! I truly have the best job. Thank you for sharing your children with me! Over the past month, I have focused on developing perseverance with your children. We have played games and built structures that required patience and perseverance. This can be a difficult task for a high achieving gifted student who has not dealt with many struggles. I have begun the lessons with conversations about what strategies may work with the day’s task in order to prepare the students with tools for perseverance.  They have worked in small groups and I have closely monitored the students for signs of frustration. At that point, we brainstormed alternative means to complete the task if the original method was not successful. My hope is see the students become problem solvers and see a frustration as a solvable puzzle. We ask, “what am I doing that seems to be successful?” “What is not successful?” “What can I change when I try the task again?”. We will continue with a focus on perseverance through the remainder of the quarter.  If you ever have any questions about what we are doing, gifted resources or have a specific question about your child, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]!

Parent Resources/Book Recommendation:

Living With Intensity:  Understanding the Sensitivity, Excitability, and Emotional Development of Gifted Children, Adolescents, and Adults by Susan Daniels

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.